Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

{TRY} DIY Pickling

Inspired by my recent run in with the ladies of Gordy's pickles and annoyed by the putrid saltiness of store bought, mass-produced pickles, I have decided to give pickling a try. Now, I've always loved anything pickled - cucumbers, okra, asparagus, carrots and the list goes on, but in searching for a recipe, I decided to start classic and basic with cucumbers. Using Bobby Flay's pickle recipe as the basis, I started off with English cucumbers.
Of course I didn't have the spices in seed form so I went to a local market that sells bulk spices. Just so much cheaper than buying an entire jar of a spice I rarely use. I like my food with a kick, so I added extra crushed red peppers as well as a whole dried hot pepper per mason jar. Bobby Flay's recipe called for 4 cups of vinegar, but after 24 hours realized the vinegar was too strong, so I tried half vinegar, half water. Much better!
They aren't Gordy's pickles, but for my first rodeo, I'd give them a 7 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment